Author Topic: Thrustmaster Cougar.....  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
Thrustmaster Cougar.....
« on: January 09, 2003, 10:08:17 AM »
I know...wrong forum, but please stay with me here.

Of all who are currently using this stick, is it fairly intuitive getting it set up in AH or is a matchbook correspondence course required?

The reason I ask, is that I'm building a new gaming sys and am considering changing from 10 years of CH use to the TM Cougar thingie...it seems most I've spoken with have a hard time configuring the stick and throttle as well as having to take it apart and fiddle with the pots to get around spiking issues.

I seek the truth!

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
Thrustmaster Cougar.....
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2003, 10:17:58 AM »
Rude-

Here's the deal. I've had the cougar 9 months. Alot of the pot problems you hear about are not pot problems at all.

I recently had severe stick spiking, and remembered all the posts about Pots. I was all set to change them out, but after a phone call to TM,  I was told to simply Reset the Stick (Unplug it for 1 min and hold the trigger down for 30 seconds) and download the latest drivers.

Problem solved.

As for programming it: No problem. I just "Borrowed" Revvins profile, loaded it, and have not touched it since. (I never read the manual, and Revvin know what he was doing when he set up this profile).

So in short, it's a great stick, and if you can get a profile like Revvins, the programming has already been done for you.

If you should want to program your own, you'll have to ask someone who has done it.

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Thrustmaster Cougar.....
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2003, 10:26:53 AM »
Heya Rude buddy

I've had my Cougar for about 9 months now too and it's the best stick I've ever had.  Okay, it has its problems but so do all the sticks!  Again, I borrowed a profile from Revvin, modified it, and have been using it since.  I've also had to do the reset as mentioned above, and also grease the x axis pot.  

Overall its metal, very solid and is built to last.  Any problems can soon be solved by simply asking for help either here or at Frugal World! :)

Go for it! :)
NEXX

Offline Heater

• Silver Member
Thrustmaster Cougar.....
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2003, 10:37:53 AM »
Go for it The Cougar, Best stick I have ever had, programing it is not as complicated as most make it out to be, but it does take time!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2003, 02:50:54 PM by Heater »
HiTech is a DWEEB-PUTZ!
I have multiple personalities and none of them like you !!!

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Thrustmaster Cougar.....
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2003, 10:43:58 AM »
Rude

You don't need a cougar now, you fly a spit V :D

The Cougar is great, even though there are a few little glitches that you may encounter. I suggest checking Frugal's Cougar World for more info.

1. Handle can eventually start to feel loose. There is a guy that does machine work who will install brass and ball bearings to the gimbal. Fixes it mint.

2. Pots can spike. They are easy to clean with foam-tipped swabs and a drop of WD-40. I had to clean mine once a few months ago, but it works perfect now.

3. Rudder input is designed to take a specific rudder that TM has not built. There are some custom mods out there for CH Pro peddals, etc. I built a custom set.

4. There are a LOT of files and configurations out there that you can use. I've got one that I built from scratch that covers just about every function you need to play AH. One feature I like in mine over many of the other files is mine gives all 26 normal views + 4 optional forward views.

If you like, I can send you the files
A. Cougar files
B. Aces High Keymap files to match (almost 100% default AH mapping)
C. P51D HPS (Head Position Save) files to optimize the use of the views.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Thrustmaster Cougar.....
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2003, 10:49:43 AM »
Its a piece of cake.

I'm using my own file with a bit of code from another player, SOB I seem to recall.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Thrustmaster Cougar.....
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2003, 11:15:50 AM »
very easy.  I just received mine yesterday and I'm pretty much setup in AH.  (I may change things a bit due to pers. pref)

oh.. and no mods needed for rudder pedals if they're USB.

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
Thrustmaster Cougar.....
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2003, 11:16:21 AM »
I had owned TM gear before the Cougar but had'nt programemd for a long tiem so forgot almost all of it but the 'Foxy' software that comes with the Cougar is an absolute joy to use. I followed the tutorials and had a basic profile for Aces High that included all the commands I needed in less than an hour the fun really starts when you start tweaking and I've revised my own profile more than once with the latest version taking advantage of the new throttle commands to add WEP to the end of the throttle travel. Either use a ready built profile or modify one or build your own from scratch it's really easy.

As for the hardware itself it's all easy to strip down if need be and almost all wiring looms are plugged onto the PCB's so it's easy to disconnect and strip right down if you ever modify it.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Thrustmaster Cougar.....
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2003, 12:11:08 PM »
My only complaint and to me its a small one. The transition from X to Y axis on the stick itself is crazy. Its due to the way that TM did the gimbals on the inside. It was mentioned above but there are a few mods out there that range from relatively cheap to simply outrageous in cost. Of course the high dollar one is the one that everyone deep down wants but most of us can not afford it.

Other than that it is a great stick setup and I honestly hope that the Cougar rudders are made in the not to distant future. Good luck and from all the Coguar community here we hope you get one.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline JANNERIK

• Zinc Member
lol
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2003, 12:22:37 PM »
Im sitting home now with my Trust joystick and waiting for my cougar to be deliverd to me tonight . I dont feel like playing atm cuz i wanna test the cougar :)

norwegian "fedex" shoud have been here now but they aint , wel they have a 6 hour limit and 4 is gone so within 2 hours i shoud have it :)

cant wait anymore........

JANN

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Thrustmaster Cougar.....
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2003, 12:38:37 PM »
lol.. that was me yesterday ;)

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
Thrustmaster Cougar.....
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2003, 12:43:30 PM »
Thanks alot guys:)

CH gear is a no brainer and has been reliable for me personally.

When I change from 98 to XP, I must have USB gear to work with XP...mine is not. So, do I buy all new CH USB gear at $500.00 or do I buy the Cougar....thanks to all of you the decision will be easier...wish someone here in KC used the Cougar gear so I could do the touchy feely thing...nonetheless, thanks again!

Ya know....even though this community is pretty strange at times, it's still a great collection of human beings....well, leaving out Creamo of course:)

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Thrustmaster Cougar.....
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2003, 12:46:24 PM »
quit being a pansy and just buy it.

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
Thrustmaster Cougar.....
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2003, 12:53:16 PM »
Originally posted by Furious
quit being a pansy and just buy it.

OK:)

Seriously, I'm a big CH fan....when your used to using the same thing for this many years, it's hard to change. If you think I stink in the air now, just wait until I have to get used to a new setup.

But hey, you're right....nobody want's to be a Pansy!!!

:)

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Thrustmaster Cougar.....
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2003, 12:53:59 PM »
Borrow one first if you can.

I bought one, and bitterly regret it.

Yes, the softwear is cool, but to be honest you don't need it in AH; as the AH mapper is more than good enough (it could shine in other games though).

The quality is only skin deep; the innards are as cheap as any other stick.

The springs are terrible (yes you can buy replacements, but why spend more on the most expensive stick on the market?)

There's slop around centre. Not much, to be fair, but more than my old sidewinder, at (literally) ten times the price any is too much.

I've had mine six months and the throttle pot has gone already.

The stick is made for BIG hands and is finished in gloss paint, perfect grip when the going gets sweaty (not!); especialy in the light of those springs.

The Cougar is a prime example of Emporer's new clothes syndrome. It does nothing a Saitek can't do at a fraction of the price, but, having shelled out for one, you'll work hard to convince yourself and every one else it's fantastic because it's easier than owning up to the fact you fell for the hype.

It's by no means a _bad_ stick, but it's far, far away from being a good buy.